Undergraduate FAQs

What majors in the COB can I complete online?
  • BS-Hospitality Management
    • Conventions and Special Events Management
    • Food and Beverage Management
    • Lodging Management
  • BSBA-Accounting
  • BSBA-Management
    • General Business
    • Human Resource Management
    • Management
  • BSBA-Management Information Systems
  • BSBA-Marketing
  • BSBA-Supply Chain Management

How do I know what courses to take?
Become an expert at using Degree Works. Your advisor uses it when advising. The Registrar’s Office uses it to be sure you can graduate. So, it is important that you use it, too. All degree-seeking students are strongly encouraged to use it to develop a plan of study.

Consult on a regular basis with your advisor. We are here to help you navigate your way to graduation.

What do I do if something doesn’t look right in Degree Works?

Ask your advisor for help if it looks like any credit is missing or not applied as you expected.

How do I schedule a meeting with my advisor?
Go to the COB Advising staff page and click “Schedule an advising meeting” under your advisor’s name. During high-traffic times, the COB Advising Center may operate on a drop-in basis.

I’m having trouble in a class. What can I do?
Go see your professor during office hours. They should have them listed in the syllabus and on their office door.

Seek out extra help. The Pirate Academic Success Center offers support services (e.g. peer tutoring, study skills assistance, workshops) for students both on campus and online. They can also direct you to other academic support services.

When is…?
All important dates related to academics (e.g. registration, schedule changes, withdrawal deadlines, final exams) are on the academic calendar. The registration schedule, telling you when you can register, is available here.

I’m having trouble registering for a class. What do I do?

  1. Make sure your student record is clear of holds. Most holds will prevent registration activity.
  2. Define the error. You can find an explanation of common registration errors here.
  3. Review the class section information for restrictions, prerequisites, or corequisites.
  4. Bookmark and use the Academic Advising Collaborative web site. It includes helpful tips on class registration.
  5. Ask an advisor. If you email your advisor for help, be sure to include a screenshot of the error message, along with the exact course and section. If you are on campus and need help with a registration issue, stop by the COB Advising Center and ask to speak with an advisor.

Is an internship required?
It depends on your major. You don’t need an internship for the BSBA, but they are strongly encouraged. Also, the College of Business has an internship-for-credit program that allows students to earn credit for an internship.

The BS in Entrepreneurship requires two experiential courses, of which an internship is one option.

The BS in Hospitality Management includes two courses that require work experience: HMGT 2591 (requires 200 hours of work experience) and HMGT 3990 (requires 400 hours).


Degree Works is programmed to look for courses that meet the requirements for your degree, major, etc..

If you were given transfer credit, but not for an exact ECU course, you can have it reevaluated at the department level. A reevaluation request should include a course description and/or syllabus.

  • e.g. MAT 200 transferred as MATH 2XXX, but you think it is equivalent to MATH 2283. Send a reevaluation request to the Mathematics Department.

If you took a course that isn’t exactly the same, but you think could substitute for a required course, ask your advisor.

If it looks like some transfer credits are missing, ask your advisor.

Tip: Take care of any substitution or reevaluation requests ASAP so your Degree Works worksheet properly reflects how your past work applies to your current degree requirements.