Military Students

ACTIVE Military Students

If you will use Military Tuition Assistance (TA), you need to work with the Education Center on base to complete the necessary paperwork.

After completion, all documents may be emailed, faxed or mailed to:

ECU Office of Veteran Affairs
Brewster D 107 A
Mail Stop 136
Greenville, NC 27858

Contact ECU’s Financial Aid Office at, 252-328-6610, or faques@ecu.ed  if you are interested in applying for federal financial aid.

Tuition Waivers

Active duty military stationed at a North Carolina base may be eligible to receive in-state tuition rates. You will need to complete a Military Tuition Waiver form which must include an affidavit completed by an appropriate Military Authority.

You must fill this form out each academic year you are in school. Regardless of when you first complete the waiver form, you must resubmit between July 1 and the first day of fall semester in subsequent years. The affidavit is required only with the original application.

Continuous Enrollment

Once you have received in-state tuition, you will continue to receive this rate as long as you are continuously enrolled, even if you are transferred to another base. However, you must be continuously enrolled in the same program you were in when you applied for the Military Waiver.

A service member may continue to receive the benefit of the In-State tuition rate if he is continuously enrolled in the same degree or program and is reassigned outside of NC, retires outside of NC, or is honorably discharged. If honorably discharged, the student must establish residence in NC within 30 days of separation. Additional information about residency can be found at

Tuition Deadlines

Tuition deadlines are listed on the Academic Calendars found at Tuition amounts are at .

Applications for the Military Tuition Waiver will not be accepted after the first day of class. If you choose to fax these documents, please mail the originals to the Registrar’s Office as well.

If you are going to receive your TA after the tuition deadline, you need to set up a payment plan with the Cashier’s Office or pay the tuition out of pocket. Your schedule cannot be secured with just the promise of TA.


VETERAN Military Students

First-time Enrollees

If you have not previously received VA benefits, you will need to fill out form 22-1990 (for veteran) or 22-5490 (for dependent) found at The VA will process your application and send you a letter notifying you of their decision. Please be aware that it may take the VA several weeks to process your claim. If you are approved to receive benefits, you will receive a certificate of eligibility letter from the VA.

Continuing Enrollees

If you have previously received VA benefits, fill out form 22-1995 (for veteran) or 22-5495 (for dependent) found at

New Transfer Students

If you have used VA educational benefits at a previous college you must complete a Change of Place of Training Form (22-1995 for Ch. 33, 30 or 1606 benefits) (22-5495 for Ch. 35 benefits) to transfer your benefits to ECU.

How to Receive Education Benefit Payments

  • Be admitted to the university and officially registered for courses. To apply to ECU Graduate School, you can visit:
  • Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA. This is not required, but can hinder Chapter 33 or Post 9/11 students if you do not submit one.
  • Read, sign and return the Information for Veterans and Dependents document. This document is provided to explain the guidelines and responsibilities for receiving payments from the VA and should only be submitted before your initial enrollment certification.
  • Complete and submit the East Carolina Request for Benefits Form.

After completion, all documents may be emailed, faxed or mailed to the ECU Veterans Affairs Office:

ECU Office of Veteran Affairs
Brewster D 107 A
Mail Stop 136
Greenville, NC 27858

Please note that VA benefits are paid in arrears, therefore you must pay your tuition up front before the deadline to prevent your schedule from being dropped. In addition, the VA will only pay for the minimum requirements listed in the catalog for the degree you pursue. For the MBA, this means that all foundation, common body of knowledge, elective, and certificate courses are covered as long as they are part of your degree requirements. Courses outside your degree requirements are not covered.

Questions?  Please contact:

Student Veteran Services | Campus Resources

Cashier’s Office | Billing & Payments

Office of the Registrar | VA Educational Benefits & Forms