Graduate Certificate in Sustainable Tourism
The graduate certificate in sustainable tourism provides a balance to the more traditional hospitality business certificate already offered by focusing on sustainability within tourism and hospitality operations and organizations.
Students will acquire knowledge of the integration of the economic, socio-cultural, and environmental aspects of sustainability as it relates to tourism and hospitality. SUTO 6000 introduces students to the general principles of sustainable tourism and hospitality, while SUTO 6100 focuses on the environmental components, SUTO 6200 concentrates on the development and management of sustainable tourism and hospitality operations and organizations, and SUTO 6300 focuses on the policy and planning aspects of sustainable tourism and hospitality. Through the use of case studies, authentic projects, and a variety of other learning activities, students will be introduced to outstanding examples of sustainable tourism and hospitality and entities that could benefit from increased sustainability practices.
This certificate is available online.
- SUTO 6000 – Principles of Tourism and Sustainability
- SUTO 6100 – Environmental Systems and Sustainability
- SUTO 6200 – Development and Management of Sustainable Tourism
- SUTO 6300 – Policy and Planning for Sustainable Tourism
Due to course rotations, this program takes a minimum of 2 semesters to complete.
Fall – SUTO 6000, 6100
Spring – SUTO 6200, 6300
Arthur Graduate School of Business
Acceptance into this certificate program is dependent upon, but not limited to, one of the following:
- a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.7, OR
- 5 years of progressive professional experience and an undergraduate degree, OR
- a graduate degree, OR
- admission to/enrollment in a graduate degree program at East Carolina University, OR
- admission to/enrollment in the ECU MBA program – certificate can replace electives component of degree by completing this form
Special note: Students who successfully complete this College of Business graduate certificate can waive the entrance exam admissions requirement for the MBA and MS-STH programs. Certificate-only students cannot take MBA or MS-STH classes that are not part of their certificate program until the semester in which they are fully admitted to the degree program.