Financial Assistance

Financial Aid

Federal Financial Aid
The Office of Student Financial Aid is independent of the College of Business and all student loans must be processed through that office.  If you are seeking financial assistance for your graduate studies, it is best to start the process early.

Graduate students must be enrolled in at least five (5) semester hours to be eligible to receive financial aid during a fall or spring semester.  Graduate students must be enrolled in at least five (5) semester hours (five s.h. in one session or three s.h. in each session) to be eligible for aid during summer sessions. Be sure to let the Financial Aid Office know if you intend to take all of your courses online, as that may have an effect on your financial aid award.

Students are encouraged to review the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) information to ensure they remain eligible for aid.

Students can access their Financial Aid Self Service card via PiratePort to access vital financial aid information including: outstanding requirements; cost of attendance; aid awarded and offered; financial aid holds and a resource page for definitions and links to important information.

Exit Survey
If you receive financial aid during your graduate program, you are required to complete a Financial Aid Exit Survey (sometimes referred to as Exit Counseling) during your last semester and prior to graduation.  Likewise, you are required to complete the Exit Survey if you drop below half-time status in any term. Failure to complete the survey will result in a hold tag for “Exit Survey” being placed on your record. The Exit Survey may be completed online. 

Financial Aid Office  2103 Old Cafeteria Building
phone (252) 328-6610      fax (252) 328-4347     email


Deadlines: October 15th for Spring Awards | April 30th for Fall Awards

Many students are surprised to hear that there is over $300,000 available to COB graduate students each year!

Tuition Vouchers

We gladly accept tuition vouchers from UNC system schools as well as employer-sponsored payments. Please visit the Cashier’s page for more information. ECU employees should contact the Cashier’s office with additional questions regarding the tuition voucher for ECU employees. 

Out-of-State Tuition Remissions 

Deadline: April 15th for Fall & Spring Awards. We are no longer accepting applications for Fall 2022/Spring 2023.

A very limited number of out-of-state tuition waivers are available on a competitive basis. The out-of-state tuition waiver covers the difference in tuition between in-state and out-of-state rates. Remissions also come with a 20-hour graduate assistantship, which offers additional compensation of approximately $4,500 per Fall and Spring semester.

There are a limited number of out-of-state tuition remissions, which cover the out-of-state portion of tuition. The remissions are highly competitive, and awarded via your respective graduate program. The minimum criteria for eligibility are:

  • full-time enrollment (9 credit hours in Fall and Spring semesters);
  • campus-based enrollment (at least one campus course in Fall and Spring semesters);
  • full-time assistantship at ECU (20 hrs/wk); and
  • 3.0 overall GPA or a 3.0 senior year GPA.

Refer to the Graduate School’s webpage for more information.

Summer tuition remissions are rarely awarded and are based on funding availability. The application is competitive and a completed application is required in order for a student to be considered for an out-of-state tuition remission. Preferential consideration will be given to students who have been accepted by COB published admissions deadlines.

The deadline to apply for consideration of a COB out-of-state tuition remission is April 15 for each upcoming academic year. Applications are reviewed by a committee in late Spring of each year. Applicants will be notified by June 1. As a prospective student, you are strongly advised to apply to your graduate program as early as possible in order to be considered for these awards.