MBA Program Structure
Unlike most MBA programs, there are no “hidden” pre-requisites to our MBA courses. The program is a maximum of 18 courses, or 54 semester hours, and provides an engaging and flexible education in the theory and practice of business management – exposing you to a range of subjects, including economics, marketing, accounting, finance, strategy, operations management, information systems, and supply chain management. These courses are divided into three categories: foundation, common body of knowledge and electives.
7 foundation courses
Can be completed online only or can waive with undergraduate courses.
The foundation component quickly gives a non-business undergraduate student the same academic knowledge base as an undergraduate business or accounting student. You can be waived out of these on a course-by-course basis if you’ve completed similar undergraduate courses in the past. We do not offer course waivers for professional experience. We would be happy to review your past coursework to identify your course waivers. Contact our office for more information on course waivers. firstname.lastname@example.org or 252.328.6970.
- ACCT 6241 – Financial and Managerial Accounting
- FINA 6144 – Financial Management I
- FINA 6204 – Analysis of the Business Economic Environment
- FINA 6214 – Government Regulation of Business
- MGMT 6102 – Comparative Management
- MKTG 6162 – Marketing Management
- OMGT 6123 – Quantitative Methods
8 common body of knowledge (CBK) courses
Can be completed on-campus or online.
No matter what career path you choose, you will experience business scenarios and decision-making challenges. These required courses provide you with a portfolio of managerial tools and techniques as well as the “softer” skills needed to succeed as a manager.
- ACCT 6521 – Accounting for Decision Making
- FINA 6604 – Financial Management II
- MGMT 6722 – Strategic Management
- MGMT 6802 – Organizational Behavior
- MIS 6713 – Delivering Business Value through Information Systems
- MKTG 6822 – Marketing Strategy
- OMGT 6213 – Operations and Supply Chain Management
- OMGT 6613 – Management Science
3 electives/Graduate certificate
Can be completed online.
Choose from over 30 different electives to tailor your MBA experience to your career goals, or opt for a graduate certificate to satisfy your elective requirement. Most certificates require four or five courses, effectively adding one or two additional courses to your program. These 13 COB-affiliated certificates are designed to provide you with meaningful insight into the issues of a specific industry from colleges or departments both inside and outside the College of Business. Certificates are awarded from the respective colleges or departments in conjunction with your degree and successful completion of a certificate is reflected on your transcript.
Our planning sheet can provide a helpful visual of the program structure.